Thursday, September 2, 2010

World History and Geography Parent Letter

Dear Parent or Guardian, September, 2010

Hello. My name is Becky Kraft, I will be your student’s World History and Geography teacher. I am pleased to be starting my second year at Plymouth High School, and my tenth year of teaching High School Social Studies. Prior to settling down here at the park, I worked for Brighton, Fraser, and Chicago Public Schools. During this time I’ve taught most every class offered in the Social Studies course offerings, from Psychology to Economics to several kinds of History. I am especially excited to teach World History and Geography as I believe that knowledge of the world has become an increasingly important area of study in schools with the increase in technology and global interdependence.
I collaborate closely with a team of teachers to ensure that the curriculum in the course is top notch. We approach the history of the world through themes. We hope that your student will find the big ideas, cause and effect, and present day connections that we concentrate on less daunting than the dates and names that often complicate a history curriculum and turn students off to the subject. If your student finds the material challenging at any time, please encourage him or her to see me for strategies on learning or for clarification of the material. I am available most days after school and at lunch and would be pleased to help in whatever way your student needs.
Please take a moment to read over the syllabus that I’ve sent home with your student. Notice that your student will need to bring to class each day a spiral notebook for this class alone that will become an Interactive Student Notebook (more information to follow). Textbooks may remain at home as many text assignments will be completed for homework and we have a half-set in the classroom. Your student should be able to keep track of his or her own grades between Zangle postings by keeping an up-to-date notebook and table of contents.
Also, please note that I have started a blog page: http://www.kraftsclass.blogspot.com/. My intention is to make documents available through this site as Google docs, and to list the class agenda daily. While I am delighted by technology, it sometimes takes me a while to master it, so please be patient with me this semester as it is my first time maintaining a blog!
If you have any questions for me, my preferred method of communication is e-mail. You are, of course, always welcome to call if you are more comfortable doing so. Feel free to contact me at any time regarding your student’s progress in my classroom, or any other concerns you may have. I look forward to working with you and your student!

Best Wishes,

Ms. Becky Kraft

World History, Economics, Anthropology
E-mail: Rebecca.Kraft@pccsmail.net
Classroom blog: http://www.kraftsclass.blogspot.com/
Phone: 734-416-9794 (please do not call during school hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment